Monday 27 August 2012

Mandelberg revisited

Bought two bottles of this in early 2009. This first one was opened immediately, I gave the second another couple of years. Without looking back at my previous notes, here is my quick-fire verdict:

Weingut Bergdolt, Mandelberg GG 2008, Weißburgunder, Pfalz, Germany
Dried apricot, herbs and a lovely waxy scent reminiscent of honey. Some chalky minerality - smooth rather than pungent.
Medium-bodied on the palate, slightly bitter pear, hints of apricot. Lots of extract buzzing around the mouth, helping to conceal the alcohol pretty effectively. The acidity isn't pronounced but lends enough freshness for the wine to retain balance.

[After writing the above, I've now taken a look at my admittedly gushing notes of May 2010]
On balance, more fruit has emerged in this Pinot Blanc than was the case two years ago. Whether it is more enjoyable or complex is, however, debatable. Personally, I don't think so. It's just different.

No comments:

Post a Comment