Monday 8 October 2012

Weilberg 2005

I recently opened the penultimate bottle of this, the oldest wine in our cellar.

Weingut Pfeffingen, Riesling, Weilberg Grosses Gewächs 2005, Pfalz
Herbs and stone fruit on an otherwise reticent nose. Very much stone-fruit-dominated on the palate, Minerally and stern. A touch more austere than last tasted over a year ago. Then it felt quite opulent and generous. Still, I'm sure the final bottle should keep for many years. Which is fortunate, as I suspect this wine may be going through a slightly closed phase right now.

[Footnote: The 2005 vintage was the final vintage featuring Weingut Pfeffingen's old label. Maybe it's just me, but I still prefer this older version to the simplified yet stylishly presented gold-leaf-on-black unicorn emblem that has appeared ever since. I think the revamped label goes too far over to the designer label end of the spectrum and actually feels more anonymous. Anyway, that's my tuppence worth.]


No comments:

Post a Comment