Thursday 12 April 2012

Syrah

Some wines are just there to be enjoyed. Forget the notes.

Weingut Erich Stachel, Maikammer Kirchenstück Syrah trocken 2009, Pfalz, Germany
I recently ordered six bottles of this as a spiritual replacement (of sorts) for another German Syrah that cost over twice as much and for which I'd originally placed a pre-order last year in a slightly inebriated state. In February, I decided to cancel that particular order and go for this wine instead, as its intensely black peppery personality was quite something. Stachel's Syrah doubtless has a long life ahead of it, but we decided to open one bottle now to test its current drinkability. It went well with a similarly spicy, peppery dish I served up on Easter Sunday. Honestly, you wouldn't have known it'd originated from Germany. Supple and with heaps of character - we enjoyed it the following day as well.

This Syrah is drinking just fine already. I may lay down some of the other bottles - but, then again, I won't get all precious about it if the time is right to open another one again soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment